Painting your house can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it's important to take the necessary precautions to protect yourself from the fumes. Solvent-based paints can cause headaches, dizziness, and nausea if inhaled for too long, and even be deadly if inhaled on purpose. To ensure your safety, always paint in a well-ventilated area and take frequent breaks to get some fresh air. You may also want to consider using a box fan in the window to help direct airflow to the outside.
Water-based paints are a good alternative to solvent-based paints as they release fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs). However, it's important to note that even paints marketed as “low in VOCs” can still have significant emissions of some individual VOCs. To completely eliminate solvent vapors, you can light a candle in the room and let it burn for a few hours. Just remember not to leave a candle unattended, and young children should be careful with an open flame and hot wax. Pregnant women are advised to limit their exposure to fresh paint fumes, but there is no evidence that paint fumes harm pregnant women or the fetus.
When considering a painting job for your home, it's essential to evaluate your options and make sure you're getting the best possible price. The water will absorb some of the solvent vapors, leaving the freshly painted interior smelling fresh. Additionally, you'll want to ask them if they have the owner's lead paint safety certificate so you know it's completely safe. Other ingredients vary depending on the type of paint; for example, some paints may contain an ingredient to prevent mold. Knowing the chemical content of paints and the possibility of inhaling them is a clear indication that the smell of paint is dangerous.
Therefore, it's important to take all necessary precautions when painting your house.